Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Three Children's Books from Other Countries

Whispers in the Graveyard by Theresa Breslin

Solomon, the book's main character, has never had an easy time in school because of his dyslexia. He has created a secret hiding place in a desolate part of an old graveyard where he retreats to when his father is drinking or when his teachers tease him. Solomon soon finds himslef in the middle of the evil effects of an ancient curse put on the land by a witch who was burned and buried there many years ago. With the help of a professor, his teacher, and a young girl, they unravel the mystery and break the curse forever.
I luckily found this book at my local public library. I was a little skeptical that I would be able to find children's books from other countries, but this one was available! I really enjoyed reading this book, and I can see why this book would be popular for children. It contains elements of suspense, mystery, and is a little scary at times! When I was little, I remember reading any scary book I could find, and this book fits that description. The title is catchy and the plot is interesting--it has all the main ingrediants for a successful children's book.

Skellig by David Almond

"I thought he was dead. He was sitting with his legs stretched out and his head tipped back against the wall. He was covered with dust and webs like everything else and his face was thin and pale. Dead bluebottles were scattered on his hair and shoulders. I shined the flashlight on his white face and his black suit."

This is Michael's (the main character) introduction to the book and "being" Skellig, the man/owl/angel who lies motionless behind a mound of junk in the back of the garage in Michale's dilapidated new house. However, this is the least of Michael's worries. The new house is a mess, his parents are distracted, and his brand-new baby sister is seriously ill. Still, as scared as he is, Michael can't get this mysterious creature out of his mind--even as he wonders if he has really seen him at all. The rest of the story unfolds in a dreamlike fantasy. Skellig helps to examine many themes of life as they unfold in through the experiences of a young boy: death, life, friendship, love, and the connection between all things.
When I first started reading this book, I was a little turned-off. I thought it was going to be difficult to get through. A book about a man/owl/angel? I didn't think it would be very interesting. However, as the book unfolded, I began to get a little more interested. As an adult reading this book, I was able to focus more on the underlying themes and ignore the fantasy element of the book, which helped make it a little less unbelievable. Don't get me wrong, I love fantasy stories, but for some reason the storyline of this book was hard for me to get interested in. I did enjoy the themes of death, friendship, and love that the book emphasized. It was well told and flowed very easily.

Jonathan Swift's Gulliver by Martin Jenkins

This is an adaptation of the classic book Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift. It is written to make the story more accessible for contemporary and younger readers. All of the major events of Gulliver's travels are included in the book, but they have been updated using more simplified language. Additionally, the book doesn't contain all of the political implications and themes of darkness that the original tale did. It is more suitable for a younger audience. Illustrations accompany many of Gulliver's experiences, and it is a book designed to encourage the reading of classical literature by children. Truthfully, I enjoyed reading this version much more than I did the original simply because of the change in the laguage. It was much much much easier to understand. Although I realize one must read the original Gulliver's Travels to get the entire experience, Jonathan Swift's Gulliver is a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment